- This event has passed.
R2S Basic Disaster Life Support Course
November 7, 2019 @ 10:45 am - 5:00 pm
Region 2 South will again host a series of Basic Disaster Life Support (BDLS) courses in Budget Period 1 (BP1) 2019-2020. BDLS is a comprehensive, nationally-standardized family of all-hazards training programs developed by the National Disaster Life Support (NDLS) consortium of academic, state and federal centers.
This year, Region 2 South will be hosting three courses. The first course for BP1 2019-2020 is scheduled for 11-7-19.
This six-hour didactic course is designed to develop commonality of approach and language and to improve the care and coordination of response in WMD disaster and public health emergencies. The curriculum includes an overview of the “D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R” paradigm, injuries and responses associated with different types of disasters, an overview of the public health system and the psychosocial aspects of disasters.
BDLS is a pre-requisite for the Advanced Disaster Life Support (ADLS) – the next course in the NDLS training program. Region 2 South is pleased to announce that we will host one ADLS course in BP1 2019-2020 as a regional initiative. Information will be distributed once registration opens for the course.
This is a reminder for those of you who have taken this course in previous years, the BDLS certification is valid for 3 years. If you have taken this course prior to 2017, this is a good opportunity to renew an expired certification.
Region 2 South is hosting the first BDLS courses for BP1 2019-2020 on Thursday, November 7, 2019. The course will be conducted from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
* Please plan to arrive around 10:45 a.m. to sign-in and receive course materials.
* Lunch will be a “working lunch” at the first break, which will be around 1:00 p.m.
The BDLS course will be conducted at Wayne County Community College Downriver College Campus in Taylor: 21000 Northline Road Taylor, MI 48180 in the Ray Mix room.
Please note that this course is being offered free of cost to Region 2 South members and neighboring emergency preparedness partners. This course will be supported 100% by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services with funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) Hospital Preparedness Program (HPP) Cooperative Agreement Award 1U3REP190584-01.
* All students will need to register through the NDLS Foundation web site.
* All students are advised to download the book (hardcover book will not be available) and have an appropriate EPUB compatible reader on their computer or mobile device to view it. (Nook is a free app you can put on your phone/tablet/computer that will read EPUB and PDF. This can be access at: http://www.nook.com/nookapp/ NOTE: EPUB is NOT compatible with Kindle).
* NOTICE : Failure to attend this course after downloading the course textbook may result in Region 2 South charging the course registration fee back to you. Do not download the course textbook if you do not have a firm commitment to attend this course.
* All students will be required to take a pre-test prior to the course. The post-test and evaluations, wrapping up each student’s participation, will also occur online after the course, and are required to attain certification.
Below are the steps needed to register for 11-7-19 Region 2 South BDLS course:
1. If you have never registered on the NDLS Foundation’s web site, you’ll need to create an account at: https://register2.ndlsf.org/login/index.php .
Please keep a record of your username and password to the site, as you’ll need this to register for the course and complete the post-course activities.
1. After you create an account, you’ll immediately receive an email asking you to confirm your registration on the web site. Click on the link in that email to confirm registration.
2. Once you complete step #2, you’ll be logged into the NDLS Foundation’s web site. Paste the following link into your web browser at that time: http://register2.ndlsf.org/course/view.php?id=2584 . This will take you to the registration page for the course. Click on “Enroll Me”.
1. At this point, you will be presented with the official web page for the course. It is from this page that you MUST complete the pre-course assessment prior to taking the course on 11-7-19. The required book will also be available for download from this site.
It is very important that students register through the NDLS Foundation’s web site, because the book download, the pre-assessment, the post-course test, and the course evaluation are all done online through the online account. Following the completion of these activities, students who pass the course will then be able to print their own certificate directly from the site. Region 2 South will not be able to provide any certificates for this course – you can only receive them from the website.
Nursing, physician, and EMS credits are available for this course.